Sunday 24 April 2011

Snip Snap turns 20

 

One of my favorite movies by Tim Burton starring Johnny Depp and Wynona Ryder is celebrating its 20th anniversary this month. The artistic film, Edward Scissorhands is one of the most memorable films of the 20th century, and artist Seb Mesnard decided to pay tribute by asking talented and aspiring artists from the around the world to submit work inspired by the story and the characters. He did so by setting up a blog, and sent the message across. The result is amazing, you can view the entire collection of work here. I've posted my favorites below, among them is Bejamin Lacombe's piece (you've seen Lacombe on AnnaLikes earlier this year). Gallery Nucleus in Alhambra, California, is currently showcasing a selection of the original works from Mesnard's blog until May 9, 2011. If you happen to be in LA check it out! Click here for directions, it's a 10 minute drive east from downtown LA.

Lacombe









6 comments:

  1. Really cool!

    My favorites are the second to last one, and the snowglobe for the symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Edward Scissorhands. So thank you for this post. speaking about Johnny Depp though, my personal favourite on screen portrayal of his is Ed Wood.. Simply impeccable! Just loved the art in which Ed Scissor is inside a snowglobe looking out at Kim.. wistful, beautiful! Keep Sharing Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That is a great point to bring up. I offer the thoughts above as general inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you bring up where the most important thing will be working in honest good faith. I don’t know if best practices have emerged around things like that, but I am sure that your job is clearly identified as a fair game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i certainly agree with the both of you, the globe illustration is the strongest work in concept, i do love the illustration style of the last piece most however

    ReplyDelete
  5. The final one by David Lopez is my favorite. Gee. Wish I'd been invited to submit. Edward's character is so visually rich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the movie and definitely love these. The snow globe most assuredly for symbolization although I am very drawn to the third from the last because of the sharp contrast, and I am a bit partial to vivid color. :)

    ReplyDelete